I'm not expressly trying to solicit discussion, but you're certainly welcome to add your own comments so long as they are on topic, thoughtful and not unduly disrespectful. You need not agree with me and you may post anonymously if you prefer. That said, I reserve the right to yank nonsense and spam.

** Update 8 June 2013 **
While I continue to monitor this blog, please note I have changed to a different hosting service and therefore a new blog. If you'd like to stay current, please visit me at My Sens-iety.

Monday, April 22, 2013

Definition Wanted: Reality TV

Say someone asks me, "Do you like Science Fiction?"  I have no trouble responding, "Yes!" because I know what the question means.  But if someone asks, "Do you like Reality TV?" I hesitate.  Not that this is a rage issue for me, but it's a minor life irritant to have to provide a lengthy explanation for the only honest answer I can give:  "It depends on what your meaning of 'reality' is."

Two programs on my must-see list are Duck Dynasty on A&E and Big Rich Atlanta on Style.  I fantasize seeing Ashlee and Katie (Big Rich Atlanta) sitting at the dinner table of Phil and Kay Robertson (Duck Dynasty).  Oh, what I wouldn't give for an SRO ticket to that event!!  And, in a contest of who is the better "true southern lady", I'm betting on Miss Kay over Katie every day of the week.

I watch reality "makeover" programs such as Kitchen Nightmares on FOX, Restaurant Impossible on the Food Network, Tabatha Takes Over on Bravo, Hoarders on A&E, Love It or List It on HGTV and re-runs of the now-cancelled Supernanny.  I enjoy these for their feel-good, happy endings for struggling individuals and families, even though not every episode turns out that way.

Furthermore, I enjoy biographies, documentaries and general news and information programming which all deal with "reality" but it doesn't feel right to include them in the same category as the examples above.

No comments:

Post a Comment