I'm not expressly trying to solicit discussion, but you're certainly welcome to add your own comments so long as they are on topic, thoughtful and not unduly disrespectful. You need not agree with me and you may post anonymously if you prefer. That said, I reserve the right to yank nonsense and spam.

** Update 8 June 2013 **
While I continue to monitor this blog, please note I have changed to a different hosting service and therefore a new blog. If you'd like to stay current, please visit me at My Sens-iety.

Friday, May 17, 2013

Arias: Donavan Bering

Donavan Bering continues to come to the Jodi Arias trial -- shown at right in the green shirt beside Sandy Arias during the May 16 proceedings.  My understanding is the two women met in the Estrella jail, became friends and that Donavan is (or at least was) in charge of posting Jodi's tweets on Twitter.  I read today Donavan is a parolee so I'm questioning the wisdom of her continued association with Jodi, now a convicted felon.  That must be some friendship!  But hey.  If you so strongly believe in someone that you'll risk going (back) to jail for them, then I guess you should get a Plus in your column. Speaking of supporters...

Not that I'm keeping close tabs on the Arias support sites, but I have been curious.  Those people are genuinely convinced that Jodi was abused by Travis Alexander because they believe in Jodi herself.  That's really not so different than me being genuinely convinced she was not abused, at least not to any degree that would have made her fear for her life.  Anyway, my first glance into that other world shocked me.  The vitriol I saw there was so over the top... the F bombs were so frequently thrown that they lost all their effectiveness.  But what really frosted my chaps was the sentiment that Travis got what he deserved.  And that his whole "trashy" family should go away and die.  Wow!  Who can reason with "logic" like that?

Let me go on the record right now as NOT having any ill will toward the Arias family.  In fact, I can't say I have any "personal" animosity toward Jodi Arias.  Do I want to Friend her?  Uh, no.  Do I think she deserves the death penalty because I think she committed a senseless, brutal murder?  Yep.  But do I hate Jodi, her family and her friends?  No.  I can't think of a reason why I should -- in the limited personal sense.  I never met Travis or his family or friends.  I have no personal vested interest in the outcome of this trial other than via one simple core sentiment that brought me to this trial in the first place...

I've been abused.  If I thought Jodi had been abused I'd be a lot more sympathetic, although I would still not approve of the murder of the alleged abuser (and certainly not in such a horrific way).  It was Alyce LaViolette's testimony that got my blood boiling.  No need to rehash all that; those posts are all still up.  The relevant point here is that I feel as if this trial, in the broad scope of things, has been detrimental for the cause of abused women (and men).  And LaViolette made a bad scenario worse.  But again, I'm coming from the belief Jodi was not physically abused.



18 May Update: I'm not going to cite my sources here because I want to be careful not to get anyone in trouble, but it looks as if Donavan's parole board is onto her association with Jodi.  Curiously, I feel a bit sad about this.  Of course Donavan made her choices.  Nobody forced her to violate her conditions of parole.

2 comments:

  1. Where in the world has her parole officer been? Tahiti? You can't miss that unforgettable looking person smack dab in the courtroom gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, Donavan's contact with Jodi wouldn't have violated parole conditions until the day Jodi was actually convicted so it's not as if there is an unforgivably-long oversight by the parole officer -- who, I'm betting, is seriously overworked in the first place.

      Delete