I'm not expressly trying to solicit discussion, but you're certainly welcome to add your own comments so long as they are on topic, thoughtful and not unduly disrespectful. You need not agree with me and you may post anonymously if you prefer. That said, I reserve the right to yank nonsense and spam.

** Update 8 June 2013 **
While I continue to monitor this blog, please note I have changed to a different hosting service and therefore a new blog. If you'd like to stay current, please visit me at My Sens-iety.

Friday, April 12, 2013

Fonda Under Fire (Again)

Veteran actress Jane Fonda has been cast in the role of former First Lady Nancy Reagan in an upcoming film entitled, "The Butler."  Casting such an outspoken leftist in that particular role has some U.S. War Veterans outraged.  Fonda -- nicknamed "Hanoi Jane" in reference to her highly controversial trip to North Vietnam in 1972 -- has a flippant response to the outrage: [people should] get a life.

Nobody can deny the fact that the Vietnam War was hugely unpopular.  And I find nothing wrong with hating a war -- any war -- on principal.  However, what she did in North Vietnam was both appalling and shameful.  Whether she ever made a public apology for the trip or whether she ever even had a change of heart regarding it, I don't know and don't particularly care.  An adequate apology would be hard to come by, at least for me.  Her outrageous display of contempt for our men and women in uniform -- in the middle of a war! -- broke my heart.  Yet even though forgiveness doesn't seem likely, to continue to trash her for things she said and did forty years ago provides me no emotional reward.

Jane Fonda was then and still is one of my favorite actresses; only a select few in the trade can tackle both dramatic and comedic roles with equal perfection as she can [cf. "Klute" and "Fun with Dick and Jane"].  I won't advocate for a boycott of The Butler... I think the casting director had a good eye to spot Jane for the role of Nancy Reagan.  Both women have a similar build and carriage which is an important consideration when casting a historical role.  I am confident Jane can and will portray Nancy as Nancy would wish to be portrayed.  Hopefully the screenplay, which I know nothing about, doesn't get in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment