I'm not expressly trying to solicit discussion, but you're certainly welcome to add your own comments so long as they are on topic, thoughtful and not unduly disrespectful. You need not agree with me and you may post anonymously if you prefer. That said, I reserve the right to yank nonsense and spam.

** Update 8 June 2013 **
While I continue to monitor this blog, please note I have changed to a different hosting service and therefore a new blog. If you'd like to stay current, please visit me at My Sens-iety.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Arias: Closing Arguments (Buildup)

I have to say I'm ready for this trial to be over.  I expect the closing arguments to look very much like the opening arguments... evidence-wise, nothing much has changed since then. 

Unfortunately for the defense, their original theory of the crime rests almost solely on the testimony of the defendant who has a storied history of lies.  Defense will insist Arias told the truth about the abuse, that she truly had reason to fear for her life, and that there was no premeditation involved.  In a last-ditch, desperate move, the defense has asked the jury be instructed to consider a manslaughter (heat of passion) charge.  We'll soon see if that motion was granted by Judge Sherry K. Stephens.  My prediction is that it was not as there was no evidence presented to justify such a charge.

The prosecution has the seminal advantage in this case: Arias confessed to the killing.  During trial, emphasis was placed on the long trail of evidence showing premeditation laid by Arias during the days leading up to the killing.  The obstacle will be to refocus the jury on that evidence.

Lunch Recess Notes 5/2

Looks like the defense won the motion to include jury instructions for manslaughter.  Oh well.  I don't believe the jury will ever go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment