I'm not expressly trying to solicit discussion, but you're certainly welcome to add your own comments so long as they are on topic, thoughtful and not unduly disrespectful. You need not agree with me and you may post anonymously if you prefer. That said, I reserve the right to yank nonsense and spam.

** Update 8 June 2013 **
While I continue to monitor this blog, please note I have changed to a different hosting service and therefore a new blog. If you'd like to stay current, please visit me at My Sens-iety.

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Arias: The Spiritual Misfit

Aside from spirituality, one of the major life themes of Jodi Arias is monogamy.  Why, then, did she choose to join The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints?

One of the core tenants of the L.D.S. (Mormon) faith is polygamy.  Although the church has officially denounced the practice of polygamy (because it's against the laws of man), they still believe in polygamy.  Many members continue to practice it privately, getting around legal implications via a "celestial marriage" ceremony.  Mormons believe the primary purpose of marriage is procreation; the more children a man has, the more rich his reward will be in the next life.  According to the faith, men are encouraged to have as many wives and children as they can financially support.  This tenant notwithstanding, extramarital and adulterous sexual contact are expressly forbidden by the church.
Note:  Polygamy is an accepted practice in many cultures around the world.  While I didn't wish to make polygamy an issue for discussion, I did want to provide the Mormon perspective on the practice for explanatory purposes.
There is no doubt in my mind that Arias was well aware of the polygamy aspect of the Mormon faith by the time she decided to be baptized.  The religion is clearly a "bad fit" for her on so many levels:
  • Arias is pathologically possessive of the men in her life.
  • She is pathologically obsessed with their fidelity to her.
  • She possesses almost no sexual prohibitions and very few inhibitions.
  • Overt sexuality is central to her personality.
I have to believe Arias used conversion as a means to an end:  she was determined to marry Travis Alexander.  I see no reason to believe the conversion was, in any way, sincere.  As an immature narcissist, I think she believed she could sexually manipulate Travis into monogamy -- that polygamy would never become an issue for her.  More magical thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment