I'm not expressly trying to solicit discussion, but you're certainly welcome to add your own comments so long as they are on topic, thoughtful and not unduly disrespectful. You need not agree with me and you may post anonymously if you prefer. That said, I reserve the right to yank nonsense and spam.

** Update 8 June 2013 **
While I continue to monitor this blog, please note I have changed to a different hosting service and therefore a new blog. If you'd like to stay current, please visit me at My Sens-iety.

Monday, May 20, 2013

Ban Mother's & Father's Day

because it hurts the feelings of some children.

 

Has this world lost it's collective mind?!

I'm not unsympathetic to the LGBT community (seemingly at the root of this movement) so don't go there with me.  I am, however, deeply sympathetic to the potentially hurt feelings of any child without one or both parents.

I was ten-days-old when my grandparents took me in.  I loved them deeply, called them Mom and Dad, and enjoyed being able to honor them on Mother's Day and Father's Day.  I do, however, remember how these two celebration days served to remind me that my parents, both then living but divorced, "didn't want me."  I've watched my adopted sons suffer the same sense of loss.  And I will watch my grandson, abandoned by his mother, go through this one day when he's old enough to start thinking about such things.  But I would absolutely never entertain the notion that these days should not be celebrated due to a sense of political correctness.  NEVER!

It should go without saying there is no cookie cutter for family units.  They are what they are and they're all different to some extent.  Yeah, I suppose I could "live with" Family Day as a substitution, but then what about all the kids around the world in foster homes.  What are we going to have to do to protect their feelings?  Get rid of even Family Day?  And, maybe next, will we have to revise the Commandment to honor our fathers and mothers?

I'm not against political correctness on general principal but I do wonder where it will end.  Maybe I'm too damned old to adapt -- old dogs, new tricks -- but I refuse to believe it's healthy to punish the majority in order to protect the minority.

[two cents down]

No comments:

Post a Comment